The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

FIFA ’13 Game Review

FIFA 13 Game Review

FIFA 13, released on September 25, 2012, is the latest edition of EA Sport’s best-selling soccer video game. This year, EA focused on improving the game’s manager mode while making the game’s First Touch feature more realistic.

Pros

In this year’s game, FIFA 13 creators clearly decided to focus on the game’s manager mode, a staple of the game that had not been significantly tweaked in a few years. In doing so, EA Sports was able to create a better manager mode experience for its players. FIFA 13 adds the Saudi Arabian league to its manager mode, giving the gamer more options to choose from when selecting a squad that already boasted a great collection of virtual stadiums. But the best addition to the game’s manager mode is the new International Manager feature. After solidifying themselves as top managers at the club level, players can accept jobs as international managers, and lead their international squads in events such as the World Cup and the UEFA Euro Tournament. Also, the latest edition of the FIFA franchise includes an updated First-Touch system, which makes it easier for very skilled players to control passes in the air and beat their defenders, making the gameplay much more realistic. Finally, the FIFA franchise now includes many acquirable items, such as cleats and goal celebrations, after reaching certain achievements throughout the game.

Cons

However, as with most games, there are some pitfalls of this year’s latest edition. Primarily, FIFA 13 does not offer a plethora of modifications or improvements for the actual gameplay; however, this might not be considered a bad thing, seeing as how FIFA 12 had received sterling reviews by most. In addition to this one flaw, FIFA 13 has also done away with the opening one-on-one free play before the appearance of the main menu, a feature that I myself always enjoyed.

Final Rating

9: Overall, FIFA 13 has a number of great qualities and interesting options that far surpass the game’s potential flaws. EA Sports once again delivers with a great addition to the FIFA franchise.