The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

Album Review: RED

Album Review: RED

The much-anticipated release of Taylor’s Swift’s new album “RED” finally became reality on October 22nd.  This was Taylor’s first album since her “Speak Now” album released in 2010.  The new album features catchy hit radio songs, indie rock songs, and of course classic Taylor Swift love and breakup songs.  Taylor Swift’s album was #1 on iTunes and continues to sell millions of copies each week.

The song “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” was a hit radio song on stations such as “Z100” and “92.3 Now” before the album was even released.  This song took hold in the minds of teenage girls and was an instant classic for Taylor Swift songs.  Personally, my favorite from the album has to be “I Knew You Were Trouble” because of the up-tempo beat. Other hit songs include: “Holy Ground”, “22”, “Treacherous”, and “Begin Again.”  One of the more well-known collaborations on the newest album was with Ed Sheeran in the song “Everything has Changed.”  In fact, Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran are going on tour in 2013 across the country.   The two will be performing in Newark, New Jersey at the end of March at the Prudential Center.

The debate over whether Taylor Swift is a country singer or not continues.  After the release of RED, it seems that Taylor Swift is heading more towards a pop style and away from the old-school country, guitar songs that sprung her fame.   However, the new style is attracting more and more fans every day.  She still has her country roots and that variety makes her one of the more unique and popular artists to people today.  While she may be an established musical sensation, at only 22 years-old Taylor Swift is still very young. Her career may last another decade or two, and we will certainly look forward to hearing new music in the future.