The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

2012 Election

2012 Election

The 2012 Election is shaping up to be one of the bigger and more influential elections in recent history and, with less than three weeks until the final polls, we at The Petroc thought it would be a good time to review.

In Tuesday’s debate both candidates were on display and appeared strongly suited as if in a boxing match. Although at times the debate heavily featured quarrelling and thoughtless interruptions, it also consisted of key information about the two vastly different plans for the future of America.

Obama’s plans remains consistent with his original mission marked by a strong emphasis on the middle class, an increase in taxes for the wealthy and desire for the American Dream to become a reality for all people. His goals clearly seem to be more socially-directed than economically-minded.

The same cannot be said about Romney. Mitt Romney’s five-point plan for America is strongly economically influenced. The co-founder and former CEO of Bain Capital has a strong desire for America to increase its international competition and to craft stronger penalties for China. He wants to revoke Obamacare and the numerous sanctions Obama placed on Wall Street while also driving the American economy towards a stronger global position in manufacturing.

Ultimately the election will come down to you. Who do you want to believe? Who will be the better leader, the leader that America needs in its time of reconstruction? President Obama, the current Commander-in-Chief, accomplished the passing of Obamacare, making healthcare available to all; he has also been commended for the facilitation of the killing of Osama Bin Laden, the mastermind behind the September 11th attacks of 2001. Mitt Romney, the governor of Massachusetts, not only achieved immense success in personal business endeavors but also succeeded in politics, making Massachusetts number one in the field of education. The election and fate of the country come down to the voters in 2012. Last word for voters: Good luck!