The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

Here Comes 2013

Here Comes 2013

Once a year over one million people gather in Times Square New York to watch the New Year’s Eve Ball drop. They say goodbye to the old year, welcoming in the new one with a bang. Each year the show is broadcasted on many channels such as Fox, ABC, or NBC, and it is estimated that almost 1 billion tune in worldwide to watch this extravaganza.

This year there is a lot planned for Times Square. At 6:00 PM the night begins with the raising and lighting of the New Year’s Eve Ball. As it makes its annual ascent, expect some great pyrotechnic effects. After the opening ceremonies, tens of thousands of various fun new-years-related items will be distributed to the crowds of people. In between the hourly countdowns that happen until 11:00 PM, artists such as Taylor Swift, Carly Rae Jepsen, Neon Trees, and Psy will be performing on ABC’s “New Year’s Rockin’ Eve”, the annual show that was hosted by the late Dick Clark since 1974. After Dick’s death on April 18th this year, it was decided that his co-host, Ryan Seacrest, would become the primary host of these events.

The end of the night will surely not disappoint. At 11:59 PM the 60-second countdown begins, and the ball makes its 70-foot descent. The ball itself is twelve feet in diameter, weighing 11,875 pounds, covered in 2,688 crystal triangles and lit by 32,256 LEDs. Then at the stroke of midnight the lights of the ball are turned off and “2013” shines bright above Times Square, accompanied by the massive release of confetti from atop the buildings and more pyrotechnics to top it all off. So even if you cannot make it out to Times Square on December 31st, you should at least enjoy this annual spectacular from the comfort of your home.