The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

Prep Cross Country Making History

Prep+Cross+Country+Making+History+

Jersey City- The Marauder Cross Country team opened their first half of the season by making history. After a strong 2011 season, the team only graduating 2 runners began a summer training season of strength. Beginning August 1st the team reported to Grand and Warren to train, sometimes running two sessions each day. This strong summer set up the Marauders for their season debut in Lincoln Park at the St. Dominic Invitational. On a beautiful Saturday morning, September 15, Prep Cross Country made history by sweeping the meet, winning the Freshman, JV and Varsity Team Titles. Following the victorious morning the park went silent when the Marauders chanted the alma mater, “Pride and Glory”.

Coming back from a remarkable week 1, St. Peter’s Prep set out to the Bernie Magee Class Invitational where the Freshman team placed second and the Junior Team led by Fritz Heinrich placed 1st in this state recognized meet. Senior Captain Ryan McGann placed 3rd overall for seniors. Weeks 3, 4, and 5 were overshadowed by injury, the SAT, and very competitive invitational’s. Unfortunately, the coaches were forced to sit out many runners including Junior Chris Butko who is out for the season because of a stress fracture. Chris said, “It is a rough injury but I need to get healthy and be ready for indoors, I will not be running for 6 weeks”.

Coming off that tough 3 weeks riddled with injuries, the marauders came together for a strong week of training leading up to the Jersey City Championships. On October 17, Prep XC headed to their home course, Lincoln Park, where they had a following of numerous teachers, parents, and students. The first race to be run was the freshman race, Billy Fitzpatrick ’16 led the team with a personal victory and a team shut out. The freshman went 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9, which has never been done in Prep history. The next race up was the Varsity Race, where senior Ryan McGann ’13 and Junior Fritz Heinrich ’14 went out at a swift pace, Heinrich took over McGann’s lead and set the duo up for a fast last mile. McGann regained the lead with Heinrich following close behind where they would finish 3 and 4 with times of 16:21 and 16:34. Following the varsity, the junior varsity squad led by Gabriel Almaza shut out the race. This became the 2nd meet of the season Prep Swept, and afterwards Captain Ryan McGann led the team in “Pride and Glory”. When asked about his thoughts on the season McGann said, “This has been an amazing season for the team, every single man on this team makes a difference, and in Cross Country every point matters. This is a great day for Prep and a great day for Prep Cross Country”. The Marauders will next compete in the Hudson County Championships on October 27 at Bayonne Park, and they will hope to see you there to support as they continue to make history.