The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

Water Polo Season Wrap-Up

Water Polo Season Wrap-Up

This past fall sport season St. Peter’s Prep water polo team wrapped up their second season of play.  After a difficult first season, faced with all of the challenges of starting a new program, the team came out this year with a more determined focus on winning and becoming better as an overall team.  The team’s goal for this year was to win more games and gain a higher ranking in the state by the end of the season. It was going to be a struggle; however, the team gained some new personnel before the season. This would prove to be an important piece of the puzzle for the Saint Peter’s Prep water polo team.

The coaches, Ryan Heffernan and Brian Jones, and its two senior captains Colin Siracuse and Joe Palasits led this year’s water polo team. The coaches were very encouraging throughout the season for the players to continue working to get better and win more games.  There were also many other players who greatly helped the program in their success such as the first year player and sophomore, Anthony Duran, who led the team in goals and greatly helped them win games.  Also senior Paul Arena, who played well all year and scored four goals as he led them to a victory versus Pingry in the state tournament.  However, they wouldn’t have been able to accomplish all of this easily if it wasn’t for the help of the team’s two goalies, senior, Kevin Mikovits and junior Jack Egan.  All of the team’s wins were achieved through a great group effort that often could not be matched. They fell short in the state cup finishing 5th, but their effort could not be matched, as they gave it their all every time in the water.  We predict great success for this team in the future as they continue to grow as a team and increase their skills