The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

2012 Season: Review of Prep Soccer

This year’s soccer team at Saint Peter’s Prep set a strong standard for the program for years to come.  Putting up an outstanding record of 16-3-3, the 2012-13 squad put its names on the League Champions banner in the gym. As a team they built character together and played as a strong, cohesive unit. The team demonstrated a strong ability to handle adversity and approached each game with the same consistent approach. However, following a very sound showing throughout the year, the team lost to Kearny in the County Championship 2-1 and ultimately ended its season falling to DePaul Catholic 2-1 in the state semifinals. The program says farewell to ten of its seniors: Tyler Schiavo, Mike Giamblavo, Enzo Bonnelli, Owen Sirianni, Rob Capone, Captain Dan Mahler, Matt Halchak, Nick Cipriano, Matt Albern, and Gianluca Bova. With a productive campaign behind them, these seniors move on to other pursuits next fall.

As one of the most talented teams in Hudson County, Prep had multiple players gaining accolades for their play throughout the season. St. Peter’s had three players make First Team All League including Andrew Romero ’13, Juan Gomez ’14, and Rob Cordeiro ’14, with Coach Josh Jantas winning Coach of the Year. Also, Second Team Honors went to Mike Giamblavo ’13, Bryan Valencia ’14, Owen Sirianni ’13, and Goalie Nick Cipriano ’13. Honorable Mention was given to Matt Halchak, Rob Capone, and Enzo Bonnelli. Andrew Romero of the 2013 class was given the award for League Player of the Year putting up ten goals and fourteen assists and finishing his high school career with forty goals and forty-six assists.

The future looks extremely bright for Prep soccer and players are optimistic. Remaining team members are enthusiastic about what is ahead for the program and aim to take over . Junior Steven Martinez said, “We’re going to put up wins next year. There’s no doubt about that.” In addition, junior Juan Gomez agreed with this sentiment saying, “Our eyes are set on states next year.” There is reason to believe. The team has young talent, including three freshmen Fred Guacamaya, Dan Acevedo and Juan Alcantara who should form a strong and sound anchor for years to come.

We, The Petroc, would like to congratulate our Prep soccer team on a long, enduring and successful season. Farewell to our seniors; we appreciate the countless hours you spent in practice and the love you showed for the game. You left your hearts on the field. To the underclassmen, we ask that you pick up where this year finished and continue representing Prep well through hard work and dedication to the program while always maintaining sportsmanship and humility.