The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

Prep Basketball is Focused on Big Things

By the end of the season, Prep basketball will hopefully have added to its illustrious history of championship banners for both the county and the state. The varsity team scored 101 points to begin the 2012-2013 season with a win in front of a packed house at the barn. They then traveled to Orange and took a tough loss to a Jersey City rival, Hudson Catholic, in the first of many showcase games.

Looking to bounce back after a decent season in which the team graduated only two seniors (Tyrone O’Garro, Monmouth University and Fred Jones, Saint Peter’s University), the team is led by Saint Peter’s University bound Trevis Wyche. Sharpshooting juniors Austin White and Sean Ryan also play key roles in the starting lineup.  Senior Sean Cummings adds a defensive presence as well as a leadership role, and big man, Vic Jusino, rounds out the starting lineup. Senior Matt Halchak and sophomore Jordan Harris add speed and aggressive styles coming off the bench for this year’s team. Juniors Chris Wright and Austin Roche, both already having key varsity experience, look to contribute off the bench as well.

When asked about this season, senior Matt Halchak said, “We are confident we will win all of Non Public A North and earn ourselves a trip to the Tournament of Champions.” The freshman class of 2016 also looks to contribute to the success of Prep basketball. Nicknamed the “Fab 5”, Najja Hunter, Romello Ford, Kaleb Bishop, James “Monte” Scott, and Shamar Waterman look to be dominant on the junior varsity level and perhaps even see some varsity time. These five standouts will surely be something to watch in the next few years. Prep basketball will continue to build off its 1-1 record in the months to come. Second-year coach Todd Decker not only seeks recognition for his team on the state level, but on the national level as well. However, Prep’s schedule is extremely difficult, playing some of the top ranked teams in the nation not only from schools in New Jersey, but from Florida, New York, among others. The difficult schedule is embraced, however, and the Marauder Basketball team will surely put in the work to achieve its goal of winning it all.