The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

Television Review: Gotham

Having eight films and television shows, the Batman franchise has given the public an extensive array of stories about “The Dark Knight.” With so many iterations and narratives on the Batman narrative, it seems like natural and unavoidable circumstances that ideas at DC Comics headquarters would run dry.

However, FOX’s new show, Gotham, shatters that assumptions. Taking place years before Bruce Wayne dons the cape and cowl, it centers on  detective James Gordon and his partner, Harvey Bullock, trying to rid Gotham City of its corruption. In the series premiere, Thomas and Martha Wayne are killed by an unknown criminal, while their son, Bruce, witnesses the entire event transpire. This case is assigned to Gordon and Bullock, and they are forced to explore Gotham’s criminal underworld in order to discover the killer’s identity. As the show progresses, Gordon and Bullock continue to solve other cases, while introducing Arkham Asylum and the origins of some of Batman’s adversaries.

Ben McKenzie’s representation of James Gordon is far better than Gary Oldman’s redundant depiction of the character in The Dark Knight trilogy. As Gordon becomes invested in resolving Gotham’s corruption during the season, he does so with a sound moral compass, and could even be interpreted as the Atticus-style character of the show. His own moral code of refusing to kill criminals, instead sparing their lives, is one of a few reasons why Gordon is suspiciously similar to Batman. Even though his character in the Batman comics depicts him as a rare symbol of justice in Gotham, his moral code and constant dream of ridding Gotham of all terror is different for his character, and is rather meant for Batman. Yes, a different take on Gordon is welcomed, though if Gordon’s goal (as well as Bullock’s) in Gotham is to takes down its criminal underworld, then why would Batman even be needed when there are devoted officers in the city doing their job? Now, since the show is still early in its lifespan, this could be subject to change, but depicting Gordon as the perfect cop could be repetitive or it may allow for viewers to acknowledge that even with the efforts of good and competent people, help may still be necessary.

As for the rest of the cast, performances are solid. Donal Logue’s depiction of Bullock makes him seem puzzling, yet trustable, which is interesting because his actions are often unpredictable. Robin Lord Taylor’s performance of Oswald “Penguin” Cobblepot is terrific, and he could very well be a contender for the main star of the young show. His eccentric demeanor makes Penguin seem scary and crazed, though as the show continues, his actions do seem to be unpredictable. Whether it be forming strange alliances or ratting out his bosses, Penguin’s capricious traits make him a character easily invested in.

A new character for the show, Fish Mooney, a trusted mob leader, holds a seductive albeit frightening demeanor, particularly regarding her future effects on Goth. David Mazouz’s iteration of Bruce Wayne is decent, although unnecessary. After Bruce witnesses his parents’ death, we are offered glimpses of Bruce’s maturation. It is a nice distraction, but can only serve to foreshadow Bruce’s future role as Batman. He holds many of the traits we know the adult Bruce to have, and it feels as though his interest in saving Gotham is too rushed. After becoming saddened by his parent’s death, Bruce immediately wants to test himself in strange ways; he wants to understand the motives of Gotham’s authorities through a friendship with Gordon. This approach to the character, while unique, is not well developed. On a positive note, the formation of Bruce’s and Gordon’s friendship is fun to watch, especially in how Gordon acts as a mentor. Other characters in the show that are introduced are future members to the Rogue’s Gallery. While the characters of Riddler, Catwoman, and Poison Ivy are included, they are merely cameos, and only seem to play as an “Easter Egg” for devoted Batman fans. In spite of Catwoman appearing in most episodes, her performance is dull, and the screenwriters depict her as unlikeable, rather than the beloved anti-hero she is.

As stated earlier, there have been eight theatrical movies and television shows. Seeing how these forms of entertainment have introduced so many of these characters in a few scenes, as Gotham progresses, it could become predictable, as many of its viewers may already know how many of the show’s cast transform into the great characters they are. Even though this con could destroy the show, it seems as though the screenwriters are outsmarting this potential debacle. Penguin is not an overweight criminal, but instead a smart madman rising through the ranks of Gotham’s underworld. Poison Ivy is just a young girl, named Ivy Pepper (known as Pamela Isley in comics, and several other shows and films).

Focusing on what the show does right, Gotham masterfully portrays the city of Gotham itself. It is a dark, gloomy metropolis, highlighting the dystopian framework. In no other iteration of the Batman franchise has Gotham City looked this accurate, and it serves homage to the Batman comics. In addition, Gotham includes several things from different generations that leave its timeframe up to one’s own interpretation. Having old-styled cars accompanied with modern skyscrapers and a dark, dated atmosphere, the show a feels familiar to Batman: The Animated Series. Fortunately, the acting in this show is great, especially from the main villains, who hold strange characteristics not to be trifled with.Even though Gotham has many problems taking place in the Batman universe, it is a cop-show at heart, and a great one at that. It retains many elements from so many loved Hollywood-molded cop and detective personas. The inspirations of movies and films like Se7en to Miami Vice are what keep Gotham relevant; it is a fresh show based on familiarity.

With a very promising first set of episodes, Gotham has proved why there are still many Batman tales to be told. Gotham is a fun show that deserves to be watched. With impressive acting and a precise representation of Gotham City, Gotham has proven why the origins of several Batman characters are key to understanding how the city has transformed when Batman protects the streets of the city. It may not be for everyone, but will satisfy fans of Batman.