Saint Peter’s Prep Hosts Reception to Welcome Italian Exchange Students

Image cr. Rosalie Romano

Uri Vieira Rozenblit '22, Staff Writer

JERSEY CITY — On Tuesday, November 25th, Prep welcomed 14 Italian exchange students from the Istituto Gonzaga in Palermo, Sicily, according to Italian teacher and chair of the Modern Languages Department, Ms. Rosalie Romano.

Modern language teacher, Mr. Thomas Powers, confirms that this is the third group of international students to be hosted at Prep this year, following those from Barcelona, Spain, and Toulouse, France.

The students received a reception administered by the SPP Italian Club at Shalloe Dining Hall, where they were called up one by one to receive a certificate along with a Prep calendar as a welcome gift.

Mr. Powers, who was present at the event, stated in a private interview: “It’s vital to our school community to have exchange students from around the world.” Both teachers also elaborated on how despite the students coming from very far places, the Jesuit values, such as “Magis” and “(Wo)men for others,” remain constant and ultimately bind everyone together.

Mr. Powers also cited an NBC article stating that JC was named the most diverse city in the country and how exposure to other cultures helps expand the student body’s sense of worldliness.

Ms. Romano, who has been in charge of the Italian exchange program since 2001, asserted the importance of such events and stated that “Exchange programs benefit Prep because it allows for all students, not only those who participate [in] the exchanges, to learn from those who live abroad.” She also stated that “It is a lot of behind-the-scenes work, but the benefits for our Prep students are countless.”