The Student Newspaper of Saint Peter's Prep

The Petroc

The Petroc

The Petroc

What Is Wrong with the Giants?

Source%3A+https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com%2Fnfl%2Fnews%2Franking-giants-problems-on-offense-daniel-jones-isnt-biggest-issue-amongst-immensely-struggling-unit%2F
Source: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-giants-problems-on-offense-daniel-jones-isnt-biggest-issue-amongst-immensely-struggling-unit/

Through the ups and lots of downs, it has been a rollercoaster the past few seasons for the Giants and their fans. The team has become eager, the fans have become eager, but more importantly, the city has become eager for a successful season. 

Last season the Giants finished with a winning record of 9-7-1 — the team’s first winning record since the days of Manning to Beckham, back in 2017! Those nine wins last year earned the Giants a playoff spot where as underdogs they rallied past the Vikings on the road, finally giving the fans hope for years to come. It seemed as if this was only the beginning of something special. With a healthy Saquon Barkley, a rather promising looking Daniel Jones, an elite coaching staff, even with some room for improvement over the offseason, it seemed as if fans of Big Blue had something to look forward to. After making those key offseason moves, such as signing elite tight end Darren Waller, franchise tagging Daniel Jones, drafting cornerback Deonte Banks and offensive weapon Jalin Hyatt, the Giants were finally looking scary. Or, so we thought. 

The Giants rolled into the Meadowlands hoping for their first win against the Cowboys since January of 2021. This wish was far from being fulfilled. The Giants stood no chance from the jump instead getting manhandled 40-0, a disgrace. Nevertheless, one game doesn’t determine a full season; the Giants kept their heads up and looked to bounce back in Arizona in the second week. After a disgusting first half, the Giants resiliently bounced back and won, led by star Saquon Barkley. 

After that win, the losses continued to mount: 1-5 and firmly standing last in the NFC East. Everyone has the same questions: Where did everything go wrong? Is it the coaching staff? Is it a lack of talent? Are other teams simply that much better? The little mistakes are what make the difference for this team. When they can’t do little things well throughout a game, they simply don’t have enough firepower to overcome and win. Maybe with an easier schedule coming up, Brian Daboll will lead the Giants back to better positioning for the playoffs. Or, maybe the losing will continue as it has in the past, dragging the franchise back again to nothing.